Search My Blogosphere

Monday, February 7, 2011

On Motherhood and Mental Breakdowns

They happen a lot.

Both of them.

People becoming mothers, and people having mental breakdowns.

And most of us mothers have mental breakdowns regularly.

Which makes writing a coherent sentence incredibly difficult, and writing a book even more difficult.

I dropped off Child2 this morning for school, and my front tire was hissing...loudly.  Never a good sign.  After patching the second hole in that same tire in as many months, I went to have some blood work done.  (My body hates me.  It's because I'm 32.  32 is the end, in case you were wondering.  Just ask my college Bio prof.  It's over.)

Hole in tire, hole in arm, off to the grocery store for more gluten-free, dairy-free yummies.  (If I have to point out that I was being sarcastic just then, you don't know me very well...yet.)

And now I'm blogging, and I just heard Child1 scream at Child2 downstairs.  "NO!"  Tears followed.  Thankfully, rather than scream down at them to the "stop that right now!" I waited thirty seconds...and then there was silence.  Back to WordWorld, I guess.

But I can feel that I'm on the edge of a meltdown today.  My brain isn't working, my mind has turned to mush, and I couldn't develop a plot line right now to save...my...life.

I can't even explain what it is I'm trying to say with this post...so I'll stop trying.  And maybe go downstairs (so as not to reinforce the idea that the computer means more to me than the kids) and start The New York Regional Mormon Singles Halloween Dance, a memoir by Elna Baker recommended by a good friend with a similar sense of humor. 

And maybe I'll even let myself laugh at my kids' chanting "Tushy-Baa!" when they read Toshiba on the back of hubby's laptop.  After all, it's cute.  It's the good part of Motherhood.  The part that doesn't lead to mental breakdowns.  And I plan to enjoy it.

And I also plan to start more sentences with And when I blog.  Because I can.  ...  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment away, friends and readers...but do keep it appropriate!